Yes!!! Finally...after the long wait, our petite prince Ethan decided to pop at the early hours of 9th July 2008. We've been expecting him to arrive earlier...but somehow, he decided to stay in my comfortable womb till exactly 41 weeks. I have never expect myself to carry him till full term since my mum delivered all my siblings and me earlier than the given EDD.
I am finally experiencing the real taste of MOTHERHOOD! This term is so simple yet connote so much "hidden terms and conditions" (as I would like to think). It finally hit me that motherhood is not just being a mum to a child, it is so much more. Since the delivery, I have been suffering severe backache. Ya yah, all thanks to my unconventional delivery position: Squatting on the delivery bed...don't ask me why I did that. Midwife suggested it since I was not progressing much while lying on the bed. All I want is to get the baby out and stop the contractions, and so I went for the squat (with my hubby supporting me...thanks dear!). Despite being on epidural, I could still feel the intense contractions (Argh...the frenchies believe that first time mothers should experience the pain and hence did not give the full dosage of epidural).
Don't even try to ask why I published this post so late...for those who are mothers would know...since the delivery, I couldn't find excess energy to talk on the phone and not to say sit in front of my lappy to blog.
I am finally experiencing the real taste of MOTHERHOOD! This term is so simple yet connote so much "hidden terms and conditions" (as I would like to think). It finally hit me that motherhood is not just being a mum to a child, it is so much more. Since the delivery, I have been suffering severe backache. Ya yah, all thanks to my unconventional delivery position: Squatting on the delivery bed...don't ask me why I did that. Midwife suggested it since I was not progressing much while lying on the bed. All I want is to get the baby out and stop the contractions, and so I went for the squat (with my hubby supporting me...thanks dear!). Despite being on epidural, I could still feel the intense contractions (Argh...the frenchies believe that first time mothers should experience the pain and hence did not give the full dosage of epidural).
The other throw in "freebies" with the motherhood package includes the following: Sleep deprivation, engorged breasts, nursing and nappy duties...etc. In addition, coping with the stress of looking after the new baby, my unexplainable fluctuating emotions also created some tension with hubby. Not to mention the fatigue and frustrations built up from the 5 days hospital stay just two days before the delivery (I was down with a viral infection, real bad cough and fever, plus erratic contractions).
Whatever fatigue and frustration I have been through or am experiencing, I learnt alot through it all. Patience is definitely put to the test since the birth of Ethan. I am learning to keep my cool whenever he cries, trying my best to read his body language (well, and cries) to understand his needs and wants. I am learning more each day how to be a better mom to my child. At the end of the day, everything seems worth it when I look at my beloved Ethan's tiny little face, hold his tiny little fingers in my hands...and cradle him in my arms.
Baby Ethan Yap Kai Jun's vital statistics
Date of birth : 9th July 2008
Weight : 3.11kg
Head circumference : 33cm
Height: 51cam
Apgar Score : 1min - 10, 5min - 10
Fresh from mummy's oven...Ethan at 3.05am, 9th July 2008
Baby E with Mummy moments after birth.
First family portrait. Ethan: Yawns...I want to sleep.
Picture with Ah-Mah
Ethan asleep on mummy's chest right after feeding.

2 comments:
Congrats again Kym & Beny! Ethan looks so peaceful sleeping on your chest after his feed.
Welcome to parenthood - it'll all be worth it, an dit gets easier. The mood swings, yes, they are horrible but most people experience that: some more severe, some less. I had my fair share.... But like you say, PATIENCE.
:) Ethan is gorgeous.
Merci beaucoup for your felicitations. Its been two weeks, things seems to get easier on certain days and worse on some (when E decides to show some character). Well, what to do...afterall, he is also a little human..I am teaching myself to smile at him even when he cries...tough but so as long it keeps me cool.
Post a Comment